Skip to main content

ME/CFS & Fibromyalgia Awareness Week

Hello Everyone!

This week starting the 11th of May is M.E/CFS and Fibromyalgia awareness week. Its actually M.E/CFS and Fibro international awareness day on the 12th of May. I’m going to try and blog every day this week something to do with M.E/CFS or Fibro or both.

Today I thought I would talk about how important mental health is within these illnesses. Mental health is quite a touchy subject within the M.E/CFS and Fibro community. This is mainly because a lot of people get accused of these illnesses being inside their heads, depression causing it or it not being a real illness. If only this was true and no one would suffer like this. This isn’t why I’m wanting to talk about mental health though.

When I was first diagnosed with these illnesses of course one of the first things I decided to look up was whether I could die from it. I’m not going to sugar coat it or anything. Of course I knew about M.S and how awful M.S can be, I thought M.E being in the same family as M.S couldn't be much different. Luckily for me, M.E can not end your life naturally although there are very few cases that disagree. I left this bit of research at this and didn't think about it again.

Unfortunately for me as my illnesses leave me in the house a lot, bed bound most days and in a hell of a lot of pain this has left me with anxiety and depression. Just to point out that yes, a lot of people with chronic illnesses have depression, anxiety and other mental health problems but no, unlike a lot of people think, this isn't the cause of the illness. I would like to see if you could hack all the symptoms of these types of illnesses and not feel depressed. 

As I explained before, I did wonder about if my illnesses did result in someone dying. I didn't think until now about the people who suffer from these illnesses that unfortunately ended their own life because of it. I first found out that people with M.E/CFS and Fibro are 10 times more likely to commit suicide. This shocked and sickened me. I’m so shocked with the way a lot of doctors and nurses have treated me and how saddened I always come away from the GPs or hospital feeling. Maybe if they knew this, which I hope they don’t if this is how the treat me, they might feel the need to help more and not just dismiss everything. I’m not going to lie, I haven't tried to commit suicide but I won’t deny that I some times don't feel like carrying on and just give up day in day out. 

A lot of people that did commit suicide that have these illnesses is not only because of that pain and fatigue and other symptoms but because they are sick of explaining themselves and not being believed by not only doctors and nurses but their family and friends. 

You have a choice before you speak. You can either help or make someones day or you can ruin it. You have no idea how someone will take your joke or comment, it could end up in them taking their own life. All I’m asking is that you don’t try offer advice or try help with the illness but just listen and support them thats all we ‘spoonies’ (a term for people with chronic illnesses) really want. 

This doesn't just go for people with chronic illnesses, but anyone. You have a choice, is your comment worth someone potentially taking their life.

Take care and I’ll speak to you tomorrow.
Natasha

xoxo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When I Eventually Wake Up

I’ve lost track of what day of the week we’re on, what month or season. I’m dripping in sweat, it feels like Summer, but then I’m shivering, so is it Winter? I realise its still daytime from the stream of light peaking through sides of the blinds. The beauty of a sunrise or sunset taken away by the burning in my eyes. The birds singing outside that sounds like nails on a chalkboard. Every car driving past my window, the mumbling through my floorboards of my family watching TV, the postman at the door, the gardener mowing the lawn, all irritating me like an itch that you just can’t scratch. My chest feels so heavy that I can’t lift it off the mattress, my shoulders pinned down by the invisible weights. My heads pounding and burning like any other young adult would after a long weekend, only mines not self inflicted by over priced cocktails and 99p shots. I lay their in pain from my toes to the top of my head, my legs restless, unable to find a comfortable position even in my cloud

Doctors, Hospitals and No Success.

I decided I think I should explain exactly what I have been through with the doctors and hospitals including treatments. As I explained in my post 'The Past 3 Years...' this all started just over 3 years ago now. I started having flu like symptoms just after Christmas 2010 and after seeing the doctors every week I was finally tested about 5 weeks later for Glandular Fever, by this time the doctor said the virus would probably have left my system so my blood tests all came back fine. Unfortunately there was never a definite answer for this mystery illness that started these long, long years. After finally going back to college and completing my A Levels and having my 18th birthday in June 2011 I went back to the doctors after the cold, blocked nose and coughing symptoms had gone but left me still aching all over, mainly in my legs.  At the beginning of August 2011 I went to the doctors AGAIN and I was sent to the 'GUM' department of the Princess Royal Hospital to be

My week of HELL.

Hello again! First of all I want to say thank you to any comments, messages and emails I have received since I started this blog. I didn’t think anyone would even read it. It means a lot to me the amount of support there is and that people understand M.E/CFS and Fibromyalgia even that little bit more. So first I’ll talk about the Lidocaine Infusion I had two weeks ago. Basically I sit in a chair and they hook me up to all the machines that check your heart beat etc. Then they take your blood pressure and weigh you to check everything is okay for you to go ahead with it. Then they put the cannula into your hand and add the drip which slowly for an hour and a half puts the anaesthetic into you. Then they take your blood pressure every 10 minutes whilst you just sit there (bored). After the infusion I didn’t feel any different apart from feeling dizzy. The next day I did think the pain in my arms was better which was good but my legs just seemed to get worse and worse.