Skip to main content

A Day In The Life... On Set As An Extra.

Hello :)

I’m currently in Orlando and my body had no idea where it is or what time it is. I’m up at 2:30am over here and I’ve missed a whole day here in bed. I could barely hold my body up I’ve been that tired but I’m hooked up back on my meds and vitamins so I’m wide awake now! (oops) 

Thank you to anyone who has offered to help me complete my list of 22 things to do before I’m 22. I’ve planned a few already which I’m so excited for now! I’m gonna get about 4 completed over here and I only have 16 weeks until I’m 22 now. At least its a start and thats 4 in less than 3 weeks which is even better! 

As I mentioned before in a blog post about how I finally got to go back to work and did a days filming in Liverpool again for a Nivea advert. Even with the boring waiting around it was so much fun and gave me such a buzz to go back and it honestly felt like I’d never stopped. 

I thought I would let you know what happens on an average days filming from my point of view as an extra as it is pretty different to any main cast or crew member. 

As an extra you normally get the call the day before to say they need you and explain all the details or where, when, etc. Sometimes you might get an email a few days before the check your availability but its mostly the day before. You may also get a call from wardrobe asking you to wear certain clothing and most likely to make sure there are no brands shown. On a normal day you’d be asked to arrive for about 7am and would last around 12 hours. Luckily with Liverpool I didn’t have to be there until 11am which was perfect for me as a first day back and getting back into things. 

Once you’re there you’ll be asked to sign confidentially forms, its the usual formalities with this kind of work and industry. Then you’ll be taken to a green room full of other extras. This is where you’ll spend most of your day possibly dying of boredom or meeting other people which is much more fun and I love it. I was a little shy to begin with this time, I felt a lot older and a little lost without all my old ‘Waterloo Road’ and ‘Shameless’ friends but you get back into the swing of things.

Sometimes you’ll be taken down to set for rehearsals first, sometimes you’ll go straight to wardrobe. It’s sooooooooo important that you don’t take your phone down to set with you or send pictures, tweets, Facebook statuses, etc about what you’re doing. As you’ve signed confidentially forms its not a good idea. I’m okay to talk about it now as it’s been shown on TV now and officially announced but lets face it, if you get caught, its not gonna look good on you and they may also ask you to leave and most likely tell your agency which will cost you work as its ruining their reputation as well as yours. 

Somewhere, half way through the day you’ll get a lunch hour. If i’m honest, catering isn’t that bad and its free too! Unfortunately for me I’m not keen on the Shepherd’s pie, curry and some fish dish, not that its horrible, just i’m a fussy eater, so I used to get one of the above with chips and hand out  everything but the chips so someone could have seconds (at Waterloo Road - Will or Jon). ANDDDDDD theres always pudding!!!

I love doing this work and meeting new people, having a laugh and messing around. On set though  you have to remember to remain professional. You don’t know who could be watching you and again, its your reputation, they may like you and see what you're doing and think to hire you again. Its work at the end of the day. 

After dinner on set they might rehearse with just the cast again before sending in all the background artists and rehearse a few times before finally filming which can be over in seconds. The worst words you could hear is ‘Reset’. This was how it was in Liverpool but sometimes you may shoot before Dinner and do a few or more scenes a day. 

I used to be quite reserved until I met some friends there. This time though, I didn’t know anyone and even though I’m not seen and I knew I probably wouldn’t be, you just have to give it your all, again, you don’t know who's watching and its a lot more fun too. You come to realise too, these ‘famous’ people are just people. I’ve never been starstruck by anyone. I always thought I would be but for some reason, It didn’t phase me at all. 

At the end of the day they’ll sign your papers you filled in when you got there to release you, not like its a prison but thats just what some places call it. Then all you have to do is wait until its out on TV, Film or whatever it is and wait to get paid too. Seeing it come out on TV or whatever is really satisfying, even if this time I wasn’t seen at all. Knowing you did it though and had this opportunity is still amazing. 

Hopefully there’ll be many more days like this in the future!

I hope you’re all having a lovely week, I’ll be thinking of you back home whilst I’m in this Florida sunshine!


P.S. They've finally shown the last ever episode of Waterloo Road. I know it moved to Scotland ages ago and now they've even demolished the school we filmed in in Rochdale. I had some of the best times ever there and met some of the best people there too. People I will stay in touch with forever. This isn't everyone in the photo (Prom) but this was on the best days filming and everyone was there. A little thank you to everyone I met there for making my life a little happier and always making me feel like I can be myself and bringing out the better and confident me! xoxo


Popular posts from this blog

When I Eventually Wake Up

I’ve lost track of what day of the week we’re on, what month or season. I’m dripping in sweat, it feels like Summer, but then I’m shivering, so is it Winter? I realise its still daytime from the stream of light peaking through sides of the blinds. The beauty of a sunrise or sunset taken away by the burning in my eyes. The birds singing outside that sounds like nails on a chalkboard. Every car driving past my window, the mumbling through my floorboards of my family watching TV, the postman at the door, the gardener mowing the lawn, all irritating me like an itch that you just can’t scratch.
My chest feels so heavy that I can’t lift it off the mattress, my shoulders pinned down by the invisible weights. My heads pounding and burning like any other young adult would after a long weekend, only mines not self inflicted by over priced cocktails and 99p shots. I lay their in pain from my toes to the top of my head, my legs restless, unable to find a comfortable position even in my cloud like …

30 Years of Mr and Mrs Spychalski

27.06.1987 - Mum and Dad's Wedding Day.
On the 27th of June 1987 was Pamela Robinson and Richard Spychalski's wedding day, soon to be my Mum and Dad. I wasn’t around 30 years ago. People still say it was the best wedding they’d ever been to, that's probably because of the free bottle of vodka they placed on every table.
Mum and Dad lets face it, the six years of marriage without me in it were pretty dull. I must have been the best anniversary gift you’ve ever received the day after your six year anniversary, I guess Dad was pleased he could save money on a gift that year, until he found out I was a girl and realised the small amount of money on a gift for mum is nothing compared to the money spent on a daughter for the rest of his life. You're welcome Dad.
If I’m honest I don’t know how they haven’t both packed up and moved away from me, together or not, although they are on holiday together this week, without me.
My Mum will be up all day and night if she could, researchi…

My Hero, My Idol, My Great Grandma

Today would have been my Great Grandmas 109th birthday. A lot of people probably never met any of their Great Grandparents. I was lucky to have had 18 years with one.
My Great Grandma, was the mother of my Grandma on my mum’s side. Her name was Mary King, but most people knew her as Molly. She past away when she was 103 and a week. That week is very important to me. I didn't even know it would be her last week with us. As a family it wasn't spent worried and preparing ourselves for her final few days, I didn’t even see her that week. 
The last time I saw my Great Grandma was on her 103rd birthday, opening her presents and cards in a care home she’d only spent the last 3 weeks of her life in because until those last three weeks, she lived in the same home she’d lived in for over 80 years.
My 18th birthday was five days after her 103rd. I’d finished college, planned a party for the weekend, I wanted to invite her, although I don’t think a party full of drunk 18 year olds was exactl…