Skip to main content

10 Things to NEVER say to someone with a Chronic Illness.

This is the last time I will be boring you with the issues in my life, at least for 2014 anyway. 

First of all, MERRY CHRISTMAS! i know its a little late but we’re still within the 12 days of Christmas so I think its okay. Is it seven swans a swimming? My friend Jack should know.

Since my last post not a great deal has happened in the shape of progress with this pointless illness. I’ve barely seen my doctor since last time which I’m sure they are pretty happy about. I’ve come to realise there isn’t much point until after the keyhole surgery in the new year anyway as they don’t know what to do next. 

In a way I’m hoping they do find something because then I know what the hell is going on. Also I’m hoping it isn't Endometriosis and that I’m able to have kids in the future but then I won’t have any idea what is wrong with me in that case. One thing for sure is that I am absolutely petrified about the surgery. I don’t care what anyone says, it may be only keyhole surgery but its still surgery I would rather not be having. I’m still going to be put to sleep and have some incisions made for the surgeon to have a ‘root around’ lets hope the camera isn't hooked up to youtube or anything. 

Whatever happens with this surgery, I'm not going to come back out fit as a fiddle, or whatever the daft saying is. It’s not going to ‘cure’ me. Thats the thing with M.E/CFS there is no known cure. I cant stress this enough. I’d love for in 2015 not only to hopefully regain some sort of normality back but to also raise awareness of M.E/CFS. The most annoying thing ever is that other people don't understand it. So here are a few things to NEVER say to someone with M.E/CFS, Fibromyalgia or anybody with a chronic illness. 

1. It’s all in your head, just take some anti-depressants. 
(yes, some people with chronic illnesses will take anti-depressants like me, but the illness came first, then the depression)

2. You’ll get over it soon.
(NO! You can not just ‘get over it’ its not just flu, take a few paracetamol or ibuprofen and you’ll be fine this time next week. It can take years to find something that works for you and relieve even the slightest bit of pain.)

3. You’re just lazy, just go to bed early.
(Personally I could sleep longer than a new born baby does in a day and still feel like I haven't slept at all)

4. You look fine/You look a lot better
(Just because you can’t see it doesn't mean its not there. Also if I didn’t feel a little better that day I wouldn’t have left the house and, like I would leave the house dressed like a tramp and wearing no make-up… you also don’t know that my mum had to dry my hair and help me with my make-up because I was in so much pain and tired)

5. I’m tired today, I know how you feel/My arm hurts today, I know how you feel.
(No, no you don’t! Most of the time people who say this to me I have no sympathy for what so ever, especially if its a self inflicted hangover. This is when I can’t control my sarcasm)

6. You have it so easy not having to work and being in bed all day.
(There is nothing more frustrating than waking up in the afternoon realising you’ve wasted a whole day in bed. It is not easy. If I could be at work or uni like everyone else I would be)

7. You’re too young to be sick.
(Really? I mean how can people be so dumb?)

8. You just need to exercise.
(This can actually make things worse. Most people don’t understand how people with chronic illnesses have to pace themselves and doing too much can leave you in bed for weeks.)

9. Does this hurt? *whilst prodding you all over your arms, legs, etc.*
(YES, YES IT HURTS! SO STOP DOING IT!, even the slightest touch hurts me sometimes, why would you even do this to someone?)

10. Are you better yet? …*a week later*… Are you better yet?
(oh yeah, well the Tooth Fairy came waved a magic wand, then the Easter Bunny popped in for a cuppa 
tea and finally Father flippin' Christmas dropped by with a new body for me… have you got any common sense yet?)

So next time you speak to ANYONE with ANY chronic illness just have a think or even read this again because you could be the difference between whether or not someone can be bothered to even try getting better. Its hard enough having to find what works for you without having to worry if you’re friends and family are there for you. Having a chronic illness can be pretty lonely sometimes. Think before you speak or simply ask them, I’m sure they’ll be more than happy to explain. 

Natasha 
Xoxo

Oh, and HAPPY NEW YEAR. See you in 2015 kids!

Facebook - facebook.com/NJSpychalski
Twitter - twitter.com/NJSpychalski

Email - natasha_spychalski_1@hotmail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When I Eventually Wake Up

I’ve lost track of what day of the week we’re on, what month or season. I’m dripping in sweat, it feels like Summer, but then I’m shivering, so is it Winter? I realise its still daytime from the stream of light peaking through sides of the blinds. The beauty of a sunrise or sunset taken away by the burning in my eyes. The birds singing outside that sounds like nails on a chalkboard. Every car driving past my window, the mumbling through my floorboards of my family watching TV, the postman at the door, the gardener mowing the lawn, all irritating me like an itch that you just can’t scratch. My chest feels so heavy that I can’t lift it off the mattress, my shoulders pinned down by the invisible weights. My heads pounding and burning like any other young adult would after a long weekend, only mines not self inflicted by over priced cocktails and 99p shots. I lay their in pain from my toes to the top of my head, my legs restless, unable to find a comfortable position even in my cloud

Doctors, Hospitals and No Success.

I decided I think I should explain exactly what I have been through with the doctors and hospitals including treatments. As I explained in my post 'The Past 3 Years...' this all started just over 3 years ago now. I started having flu like symptoms just after Christmas 2010 and after seeing the doctors every week I was finally tested about 5 weeks later for Glandular Fever, by this time the doctor said the virus would probably have left my system so my blood tests all came back fine. Unfortunately there was never a definite answer for this mystery illness that started these long, long years. After finally going back to college and completing my A Levels and having my 18th birthday in June 2011 I went back to the doctors after the cold, blocked nose and coughing symptoms had gone but left me still aching all over, mainly in my legs.  At the beginning of August 2011 I went to the doctors AGAIN and I was sent to the 'GUM' department of the Princess Royal Hospital to be

My week of HELL.

Hello again! First of all I want to say thank you to any comments, messages and emails I have received since I started this blog. I didn’t think anyone would even read it. It means a lot to me the amount of support there is and that people understand M.E/CFS and Fibromyalgia even that little bit more. So first I’ll talk about the Lidocaine Infusion I had two weeks ago. Basically I sit in a chair and they hook me up to all the machines that check your heart beat etc. Then they take your blood pressure and weigh you to check everything is okay for you to go ahead with it. Then they put the cannula into your hand and add the drip which slowly for an hour and a half puts the anaesthetic into you. Then they take your blood pressure every 10 minutes whilst you just sit there (bored). After the infusion I didn’t feel any different apart from feeling dizzy. The next day I did think the pain in my arms was better which was good but my legs just seemed to get worse and worse.